Viper is a Controller class agent in the fan-favorite tactical FPS, Valorant. Coming from the United States, her abilities are built around poisonous chemical devices enabling a very unique and fun gameplay style too. She is one of the most underrated agents in the entire game and her creative abilities not only deal damage to enemies but also confuse the enemies to gain vision advantage and site control.
The specialty of Viper is that all her abilities consume a poisoning charge that constantly recharges when not used, hence enabling her to cast the same abilities multiple times throughout a single round.
Snake Bite (C)
- Equip a projectile canister that can be shot far across the map to create a puddle of toxins that damages any player stepping on it. This ability can be bounced off walls and two charges can be carried per round.
- Type: Basic ability
- Cost: 100 Creds
- Duration: 8 seconds
- Damage 24 DPS
Poison Cloud (Q)
- Equip a gas emitter that can be thrown anywhere on the map to create a spherical smoke screen. While left in a desired spot, it can be activated from anywhere and it consumes Viper’s Poison charge over time. This emitter can be picked up to place it in different positions and locations. A 6-second cooldown is received after the ability is deactivated.
- Type: Basic ability
- Cost: 200 Creds
- Duration: Consumes 5 poison per second.
Toxic Screen (E)
- Equip a gas emitter launcher that can be fired to leave a trail that can be used to create a wall. The ability can be recast throughout the game to create a toxin wall that blocks vision. This ability can be fired through walls and at great distances too.
- Type: Signature ability
- Cost: Free
- Duration: Consumes 5 poison per second
Viper’s Pit (X)
- This ability can be cast to spray a poisonous cloud around Viper in all directions. This cloud is larger than all other smoke screens in the game and players are nearsighted inside it. The health of any enemy that walks inside the cloud decays over time minimizing his max health temporarily. Viper can walk out of it for 15 seconds and return to inside to refuel it.
- Type: Ultimate
- Cost: 7 Points
- Duration: 15 seconds/infinite (if Viper is inside)
Tips and tricks
Viper was one of the least picked agents in the game. Most pro and high-elo players saw her as “useless” with how her abilities were designed. However, she has received some major updates that made her abilities very useful and team-friendly. She is now a really strong agent that can gain or retain control of a site all by herself. Following are some helpful tips and tricks you definitely should try out next time you are playing Viper;
- The Poison Cloud (Q) and the Toxic Screen (E) can be cast preround to set up your sieges or defenses tactically. Use them to surprise enemies, fake rotations, or to slow down enemies from rushing in.
- With Viper’s screen abilities, she is one of the best spike initiators in the game. A good Viper is always ready to carry the spike and initiate the plants.
- Viper is under the Controller class because she is equipped with crowd control and vision denying abilities. Learn and practice lineups for the abilities on different maps and you will be capable of gaining control of sites all by yourself, solo-carrying your team.